SERA (Social Enterprise Rural Alliance) has been working with the Brock Youth Centre to develop their youth entrepreneurship program and work with youth to engage in social/environmental business practices.
“The [BOOST] Youth Entrepreneurship Program has given me the confidence, experience and knowledge to be a successful entrepreneur. Without the program I would not know the first thing about starting my own business and creating the job of my dreams”
Since 2013, some key highlights are:
- Over 20 youth have been engaged to develop their business ideas.
- Over 50% of youth in the program have created their own employment opportunities
- Outreach in the community has gathered multiple sponsorships, mentorships and support for youth in the community.
- Youth organize and deliver the yearly Bunkland Skate Fest – the largest youth event in Brock Township.
- 2 youth operate their businesses on a main street storefront.
- 1 youth (Simon Southwell) received considerable media attention on the front page of the Toronto Star, CTV News and Global TV.
Examples of youth businesses starting up:
- Giant Display Pumpkins
- Tattoo studio
- Nails and Aesthetics
- Clothing and Apparel
- Skateboard Lessons
- …and many more!
The BOOST Program is funded by South Lake Community Futures Development Corporation and the Ministry of Economic Development, Trade and Employment.